chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Radiculopathy Diagnosis

Most people with radiculopathy will seek medical attention from a primary care physician first for the pain. The doctor will begin with a thorough history of the patient and physical exam. Once the doctor identifies the exact location of the symptoms, he or she can determine which nerves are responsible for the condition. Tests ordered may include:

doctor consulting with patient
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

An MRI uses magnetic fields and radio-frequency waves to create an image of the spine and can reveal fine details of the spine, including tumors, nerves, and any damage to the spine. An MRI scan can show details in the spine that can’t normally be seen on an x-ray. Sometimes a contrast agent is injected into a vein in the hand or arm during the test, which highlights certain tissues and structures to make details even clearer. In cases of radiculopathy, the affected nerves will be revealed.

Computerized Tomography (CT)

Computerized tomography (CT) is a noninvasive procedure that uses x-rays to produce a three-dimensional image of the spine. A CT shows more detail than an X-ray, and is sometimes used in addition to an MRI to reveal compression to the nerves.

X-Ray

An X-ray can show the presence and cause of trauma, including herniated discs, osteoarthritis, and other causes.

Radiculopathy Treatment Options

Medication

Many cases of radiculopathy can be treated successfully with conservative measures. These include the use of over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatories such as acetaminophen, and ibuprofen, as well as steroid injections, administered in a doctor’s office. In 95% of cases, these simple treatments are effective. But for the remaining 5%, the excruciating pain caused by compressed nerves and nerve damage requires more aggressive treatments.

Surgery

If the symptoms of the compressed nerves have not improved with conservative measures, then surgery may be the most effective option. With surgery, the herniated disc or damaged portion of the spine is operated on to relieve the pressure on the affected nerves.

We’ve Got Your Back

For more information about our treatment options, contact our office today.